The Leibniz-Institut für Kristallzüchtung (IKZ) is a leading research institution in the area of science & technology as well as service & transfer of crystalline materials. Our goal is to enable solutions for urgent societal challenges (e.g. communication, artificial intelligence, climate protection, health etc.). by modern electronic & photonic technologies. The work covers the full spectrum from basic over applied research up to pre-industrial development and is performed in collaboration with national and international partners from university, academy and industry. The institute is part of the Forschungsverbund Berlin (https://www.fv-berlin.de/) and a member of the Leibniz Association www.leibniz-gemeinschaft.de. You can find more details on the institute webpage: www.ikz-berlin.de.
We are currently looking for a
PhD student (m/f/d)
for the topic:
“Research on Tb3+-doped materials for visible lasers”
In the past years we have shown Tb3+-doped fluoride crystals to be suitable materials for the direct generation of green and yellow laser light. In a DFG funded project we will now investigate routes to increase the efficiency of Tb3+-doped materials by optimization of the composition of the gain materials. This includes laser characterization in continuous wave and Q-switched operation as well as optical spectroscopy and contributions to crystal growth. The research will be performed in the research group “Center for Laser-Materials” equipped with modern state-of-the art equipment for spectroscopic and laser characterization of crystals. The research will be conducted in close
collaboration with the Oxide and Fluoride growth group at the IKZ.
- Spectroscopic characterization of Tb3+-doped oxide and fluoride crystals
- Laser characterization in continuous wave and Q-switched operation of Tb3+-doped crystals
- Frequency doubling of visible light into the UV range
- Develop novel crystal compositions and take part in their growth by our crystal growth group
- Publish your results and thus contribute to the progress in Tb3+-based visible lasers
- MSc or equivalent degree in physical sciences or related discipline
- Solid knowledge in laser physics
- Basic knowledge in optical characterization of solids
- Excellent capability of scientific work as well as its documentation and presentation
- Good knowledge of the English language, knowledge of the German language is
- Ability for team-work in an international team
The position is limited to 3 years, an extension for another year is possible. Payment is according to TVöD E13 (75%) (Treaty for German public service) IKZ is an equal opportunity employer. Therefore, female candidates are encouraged to apply and will be preferred in case of adequate qualification. Among equally qualified applicants preference will be given to disabled candidates.
For information about the project contact: Dr. habil. Christian Kränkel, firstname.lastname@example.org,
Phone +49 30 6392 3019.
Are you interested?
Then apply directly by clicking on the “Apply online” button below with a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae and all relevant certificates. The deadline for the application is on 30th of July.
We look forward to receiving your application!