The Leibniz-Institut für Kristallzüchtung (IKZ) is one of the leading institutions in the field of growth of crystalline solids. These play a fundamental role in photovoltaics, micro-, opto- and power electronics, sensor technology, optics and laser technology. Our work covers the full spectrum from basic over applied research up to pre-industrial development. The institute is part of Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (www.fv-berlin.de) and a member of the Leibniz Association (www.leibniz-gemeinschaft.de). More details can be found at the institute webpage: www.ikz-berlin.de.
We are currently looking for a PhD student (m/f/d)
for the topic:
“Solid-state lasers based on high-melting oxide crystals”
The candidate will perform interdisciplinary research along the value chain of growth and characterization of new laser materials including laser experiments in continuous wave and pulsed operation. The aim is to identify the best suited compositions of mixed sesquioxide laser host materials in the binary system Y2O – Sc2O3 for rare-earth (RE) ions and to establish them as laser materials. In cooperation with our national and international partners, advanced experiments on the application of these novel lasers are planned. The research will be performed in the research group “Center for Laser-Materials” (ZLM) in close collaboration with the Oxide growth group at IKZ. We offer state-of-the art equipped laboratories, a dedicated team and a productive research environment.
- Setting up laser resonators and characterizing lasers in cw and pulsed mode
- Thermodynamic investigations on highly melting oxide crystals supported by experienced researchers
- Develop novel crystal compositions and participate in their growth by our crystal growth group
- Spectroscopic and characterization of rare-earth doped laser crystals
- Contribute to knowledge transfer in international research collaborations
- Publish your results and contribute to the research progress on RE-doped high melting oxide lasers
- MSc or equivalent degree in physical sciences or a physics related technical discipline
- Solid knowledge in laser physics
- Basic knowledge in optical characterization of solids
- Excellent capability of scientific work and a passion for its thorough documentation and presentation
- Good knowledge of the English language
- Ability for team-work in an international team
The position is limited to 3 years, an extension for another year is possible. Payment is according to TVöD E13 (75%) (Treaty for German public service). IKZ is an equal opportunity employer. Therefore, female candidates are encouraged to apply and will be preferred in case of adequate qualification. Among equally qualified applicants preference will be given to disabled candidates.
For further information about the project please contact PD Dr. habil. Christian Kränkel, email@example.com, Phone +49 30 6392 3019.
Are you interested?
Then apply directly by clicking on the “Apply online” button below with a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae and all relevant certificates. The deadline for the application is on 09th of October.
We look forward to receiving your application!