The Leibniz Institute for Crystal Growth (IKZ) is a leading research institution in the area of science & technology as well as service & transfer of crystalline materials to enable solutions in society by modern technologies (e.g. artificial intelligence, climate protection, health etc.). Our work covers the full spectrum from basic over applied research up to pre-industrial development, including national and international partners from university, institutes as well as industry. The institute is part of Forschungsverbund Berlin (https://www.fv-berlin.de/) and a member of the Leibniz Association (https://www.fv-berlin.de/). You can find more details at the institute webpage: www.ikz-berlin.de.
Commencing as soon as possible there is an opening for a
PhD position (m/f/d)
for the Topic:
“Single crystal growth of pyrochlores with high dopant homogeneity
and high structural quality”
Growing novel oxides with pyrochlore structure are one of the research topics of the working group "Oxides" at the IKZ, since this material class is very promising for specific optical applications.
Within the scope of a BMWi funded “Zentrales Innovationsprogramm Mittelstand” (ZIM) cooperation project, crystal growth development will be the main task for the PhD candidate. Therefore, outstanding “hands-on experience” in crystal growth, knowledge in process optimization and in basic crystal characterization are required. Experiences in the framework of industrial projects are desirable.
- Single crystal growth of doped and undoped pyrochlores using the optical floating zone (OFZ) technique and the edge-defined film-fed growth (EFG) method
- Process optimization of the EFG process for a specific pyrochlore
- Detailed optical characterizations of the OFZ grown crystals within our Center of Laser
- Process-accompanying standard characterization (e.g. polarization microscopy, Energy dispersive Laue Mapping (EDLM) and µ-XRF measurements)
- Coordination for further internal and external characterizations of the grown crystals
Applicants should have:
- A MSc degree or a Diploma in materials science, material engineering, physical engineering sciences, chemistry or a related discipline
- Outstanding expertise in at least one of the mentioned melt growth techniques (OFZ or EFG), decent knowledge and experiences with oxides and basic knowledge regarding crystal characterization techniques
- The capability to scientifically work on an independent basis; carry out structured scientific work within a highly motivated team of researchers and technicians
- Good English language skills to work in an international environment
- Willingness to travel (e.g. for project meetings with the industry partner) and to publish in scientific journals
The position is limited to three years. Payment is according to TVöD (75%) (Treaty for German public service). IKZ is an equal opportunity employer. Therefore, female candidates are encouraged to apply and will be preferred in case of adequate qualification. Among equally qualified applicants preference will be given to disabled candidates.
For information about the project contact: Dr. Christo Guguschev, email@example.com, Phone +49 30 6392 3124.
Have we aroused your interest?
Then apply directly by clicking on the "Apply online" button below with letter of motivation, curriculum vitae and all relevant certificates by 10.11.2019
We look forward to receiving your application!